I know this sounds too good to be true because most of the “easy” dinner recipes that we find online are actually complicated, have a lot of ingredients, and take too long to make. Well, I don’t actually have a lot of time in the evening to cook up a meal from scratch – I doubt any mom does. I’m in between being a working mom and stay-at-home mom because I work when my kids are in school and I stop when they are home. But I have been a working mom and a stay-at-home mom, and none of them have the time to cook up those amazing looking dishes that we see online. We want to believe that we can do it, but it’s not reality. And it’s not the cooking per say, but that it’s crazy at home on a weekday from 5 pm to 8 pm when you have kids. For some reason kids get really needy during those times, and moms have to deal with bathing them, homework, and feeding them. So back to our reality, I will give you five easy dinners that you can prepare without a lot of work in the kitchen.
1. Spaghetti and Meatballs – Yes, you can bake the meatballs in the oven for an hour at 375 degrees and when they are almost done, just boil some water and make spaghetti – only takes 11 minutes tops. Before you start helping you little ones with homework and bath, mix the ground beef with seasonings, one beaten egg, breadcrumbs and some ketchup in a bowl, make little balls, line them up in an baking sheet, stick in the oven and let it cook.
2. Chilli – Ok in this one, you need about 20 minutes top. In a big pot, season and cook the ground beef or turkey, throw in a frozen bag of peppers with onions (already cut up), pour 1 large can of diced tomatoes, 1 can of beans, 1 can of tomato sauce, put salt and pepper and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Finally, add shredded cheddar cheese. Pour it in a bowl with some sour cream and chips, and enjoy.
3. Pork Chops, Mac and Cheese and Corn – Season the pork chops and bake them in the oven for about 45 minutes at 385 degrees, steamed cook a bag of corn in the microwave oven for about five minutes, boil some water and make the mac and cheese – do the mac and cheese and corn 10 minutes before the pork chops are done so everything is nice and hot for dinner time.
4. Breakfast for Dinner – Yeap! this is one of my family’s favorites. We cook scrambled eggs, toast, bacon and easy to make pancakes and have them for dinner. This one is quick, tasty and lots of fun.
5. Homemade Pizza – I love this one for Fridays or days that you cannot spare more than five minutes in prep time. Prepare store bought dough with tomato sauce and shredded parmesan cheese, pop it in the oven for 10-15 min and it’s done! – you can also add any toppings to the pizza, like sliced tomatoes, mushrooms, left over veggies, onions, ham, pepperoni, the sky is the limit!
I promise you that these dishes are easy, quick, and also pretty healthy. But most importantly they are tasty because I really hate cooking food that I can’t enjoy. Try these five easy dinner ideas and create your own, it can actually be fun for you and the whole family.