I grew up in a house where going to the movies was also called “bonding” as a family. Both of my parents loved the movies. I had special movies that I would only watch with dad – Rocky, Rambo, Star Wars. And then there were the softer movies I watched with my mom. Here is a list of 5 fun movies to watch with your mom. These are not in any particular order.
1. Monster-in-Law – This is a comedy of the mother in law from hell, yikes! I include it here because most movies out there, concentrate on moms and daughters’ relationships, but what happens when the mom does not want to let go of her baby boy. I think I’ll probably turn out to be a monster-in-law.
2. The Single Moms’ Club – This one I’ll admit I watched it by myself before watching it with my mom. I love it even though I personally can’t relate, but if I were to relate it’s pretty accurate and it has a happy ending even for single moms. Single moms became my hero again.
3. It’s Complicated – I had not laughed so hard in years after watching this movie. I have watched it by myself and with my mom many times. We can’t get enough, it has become a classic in our lives.
4. The Sound of Music – For any parent that adopts but loves those children as their own, this movie it’s a must. Remember it’s a musical, so be prepared for a lot of singing and dancing. But the story of Maria and how she goes from nanny to mother is beautiful. Moms, daughters and grandmothers are going to love this one.
5. Brave – This is my ultimate favorite movie. First time in a Disney movie, where the main relationship of the story has nothing to do with a romantic coupling, but it’s about the relationship of a mother and daughter. Every time I see it with my daughter I still cry. Every time I watch it with my mom, I cry.
What’s great about this group of movies is that they cover different relationships and situations of moms while being funny and inspiring.