10 Top Toys to Get This Holiday Season
With the holiday season approaching, I’m really nervous. I’m a mom of two kids under 10 and this is the time to panic, to figure out what they want for Christmas. They get the toys catalogs, they circle everything. I gently remind them that Santa can’t bring all of it. They agreed but forget right away. I start getting headaches and anxiety attacks thinking of the money, the crowds, the toys running out, how to best spend my money, how do I convince them that that $60 car is not as fun as a bike that they could actually enjoy outside, how do I help them pick good toys – toys that are worth the money and time, that are useful and durable.
I’m a mom and so I don’t have time – I barely have time – and the thought of buying my kids whatever they are asking in their Santa Letter gives me a lot of anxiety and that starts to make the happiest time of the year, miserable, but this year will be different. I have a solid plan of attack. I know what are the hottest, coolest and most efficient toys that you can get for your buck. Don’t worry, I’m here to help and I will share with you my ultimate list. And this top list of toys is based on research and data received from who you say? Santa? No. It’s from “mom” – the ultimate toy buyer.
I give you the ultimate guide of toys for this holiday season. I’ll tell you a secret I’m getting these for my kids and my friends are getting them for their kids. Check them out. I know you little one has his heart set on that hot toy, but wait until you gently suggest these, they will blow their minds plus these are proven to be fun, durable and super entertaining, so your kids will play with them and not leave them forgotten after December 25.
1. Melissa & Doug Deluxe Standing Easel: (As of this writing) $79.98: Let’s be honest you don’t really think of a gift like this for your little ones, but try to think about it, what is the one thing that kids love to play, yes teacher. What is another universal thing kids love to do? paint and get messy. You can do these with this gift. It’s so simple that it’s genius. When I got my two kids this, they spent countless hours playing, teaching, painting. The product itself is very durable and easy to store and move around.
2. Learning Resources Pretend & Play Calculator Cash Register: $33.61 – You know the very next thing my kids love to play after teacher, they love to play store of any kind. And it doesn’t matter the age gap – mine are four years apart. They love to play together and pretend one is the customer and the other one is the cashier, and they pretend they are at the store. This toy is perfect for these types of games and it also helps them with math concepts of money, and that to me is a plus. They get to play and learn, yes please. Also if you only have one child, you can find hours of great playtime with your child playing this game.
3. VTech KidiBeats Kids Drum Set: $19.99 – One of the things kids love the most is to make noise, specially when they are young. Specifically, kids are particularly obsessed with drums. Who could blame them. Drums are cool and they make a lot of noise. I know the noise part is not so pleasant, but if you want to buy drums for your kids this holiday season, I recommend this toy. It’s has one the highest ratings in amazon and from personal experience I can tell you that your little one will go bananas over this toy, and will think you are the coolest parent ever. My best friend go this for her son last year, and he has had a blast. Actually, it is one of the few toys that he still keeps around in his room from last holidays.
4. Radio Flyer 4-in-1 Trike, Red $89.94 – You may have seen these already. It’s a very popular toy and with good reason. It’s a toy with one of the highest ratings and recommendations. If your baby can sit, you can use it and he/she can grow with this blend of bike and stroller. I have seen them at the store, at parks, at Disney world, and virtually everywhere. I had one for my little one until he moved on to an actual bike and when he did, he missed his Radio Flyer, because in the bike he had to learn to pedal. Anyways, you see them all the time because they are fun, effective and durable. This is one gift that you will enjoy as much as them.
5. Uncle Milton – Rainbow In My Room/List Price: $29.99 – This is a neat toy. Many times after getting our kids what they want and what we think they should have, sometimes we run out of ideas for anything else. When you find yourself in that spot, you can check out this toy-lamp. This is a lamp that displays light in a room in forms of rainbows. It’s so fun to see. Your kids might just slow down and be still while admiring the rainbow formations from this neat toy.
6. Bounce-Off Game/List Price: $17.99 – Now we come to the point that you got your kids cool toys that they want and you approve but what about something the whole family can play together? The solution is the Bounce-Off Game. This is no Clue, Operation, Hungry Hungry Hippo, this is a physical game that involves balls, and what kid or adult doesn’t like that. It has high ratings and recommendations, so we know it’s fun.
7. Little Tikes Jump ‘n Slide Bouncer/List price: $195 – This one might be pricey, I know but hear me out. What do kids love to do at birthday parties? You got it, the bouncy house. Blow up one of those things and kids can spend the whole day inside literally. Now this Little Tikes Jump ’n Slice you can set up in your own backyard and let them play all day, day in and day out. This is one of the few gifts that kids will go bananas for and it’ll happen in all age groups. I’ve seen teenagers playing in these just as much.
8. Mega Bloks First Builders Big Building Bag, 80-Piece (Classic)/List Price: $15 – If you have little ones and not so little ones, get them blocks. I’m a former teacher and I know from experience that kids will spend hours playing with blocks, building things by themselves and with others. Who knew that something this simple could be so much fun. These in particular have high ratings and recommendations. They are the right size, not too big and not too small, that’s why from 12 months up to adults find this toy timeless.
9. Melissa & Doug Deluxe Magic Set/Price List: $24.99 – If you honestly have run out of ideas on what to get, this magic set is a great option. I bet you never thought of getting your kids a magic set, but think about it, this is just about the perfect gift. What do kids love to do besides jumping, making noise, role playing…they love to put together a show. This kit teaches how to do easy magic tricks and then showcase them to an audience. Think about it, when kids go to a birthday party, they all stop for the magic show, no matter their age. Plus they love to participate in magic tricks. With this toy, they get to be the magician and also role play.
10. ALEX Toys Gigantic Step & Play Piano/List Price: $68.92 – Remember the movie “Big” from the 1980s where Tom Hanks goes into the toy store and starts playing on a gigantic piano on the floor. If you remember then you know this is an awesome toy and if you don’t, you can still appreciate the genius in this toy. You roll it out on the floor, and you play piano with your feet. You get to play music, use your whole body, have fun and put on a show for you and for others. And this is what I call a “special” kind of toy – I mean a toy you only get to ask in special occasions – then Christmas is the ultimate “special” occasion to ask for it. And to ease your mind, this toy has great ratings and recommendations, so it has been tested out by the best critics, us “moms.” I’m so getting ours this year.