Moms don’t have time to read most of the time – really we don’t. After reading homework and books right before bed time, I just want my mind to “vegetate.” This is the mind mode where I don’t want to think but be entertained by TV, my phone or sometimes magazines. I enjoy magazines, they are easy reading and I love the quick advice and nice pictures. But I must say that my taste in magazines has changed drastically since I had my kids. Gone are the days of Cosmo or People magazine. But there are really good and entertaining magazines especially for moms. Here are my top five magazines for mom:
1. Real Simple – This magazine is quite a gem. I discovered it by pure chance one time when I was trying to find something to read that wasn’t Home and Gardens. This magazine offers advise on everything in a woman’s life, from children to fashion. And the articles are easy to read and the advice is doable. Compare it to Home and Gardens magazine, which I love, but I couldn’t afford any of the decoration tips they offered, but the tips in Real Simple magazine are affordable and that’s fine by me.
2. Health – This magazine is geared toward overall health. It has general health articles and great information. I had tried Shape magazine for example but I found the diets and exercise routines to be complicated, and I couldn’t do it. Health magazine is more complete and simple in the advice it gives.
3. Today’s Parent – This is a must if you are a mom. The magazine is tailored to parents and the advice is useful and simple. You will relate will almost all of the articles because you have been through it or have a question about it.
4. Family Fun – This one is really fun. This magazine offers activities to do with your kids, no matter the age. The magazine publishes activities and advise per season. The activities are fun and doable. I get so many ideas from reading this magazine, and I save all the copies and keep going back to them for inspiration.
5. Glamour – This may be an odd ball, but stay with me. It doesn’t matter that you are mom now, you are a woman first. And I know no one can afford the clothes or shoes or bags that Glamour shows but it’s a great place to get ideas on how to dress and shop, and keep up with the fashion trends. The articles are actually quite good and the magazine is a work of art itself – I just love looking at the pictures and then trying to find affordable equivalents within my price range.
So when you don’t feel like reading a heavy book, but you just want to read something for leisure, stay informed and learn a new thing here or there, these five magazines will fulfill that craving. Give them a chance and enjoy them!