Drawing and coloring make two of the most important activities in a child’s learning calendar. These activities not only help the inner artistes in each of the child to express but also help immensely in developing the fine motor skills. Fine motor skills are the skills that help kids take hold of or grip items, the right way. These skills also help kids with other activities like tying shoelaces, buttoning and unbuttoning etc. Kids with good fine motor skills also exhibit improvement in their academic arena when a marked improvement can be seen in the way they hold their pencils and the way they shape their letters. Guiding kids in fine motor skills at the right age paves way for easy and effortless learning in the later years.
- Encourage kids in drawing and learning activities. Guide them gently. Do not interfere or interrupt when they are deep engrossed in their favorite pastime. Over a period of time, the child will earn to draw the shapes better and fill in the pictures with better color combinations.
- Help mould kids into more observant kids: Kids who indulge in such activities are keener observers of the surroundings and nature. They are more eager to draw and paint the new objects that they have recently seen, their favorite cartoon characters, or any other thing that has caught their fancy. Indulging in such activities does a world of good to their fine motor, hand-eye coordination, and creative skills.
- Drawing and coloring helps to do away the long hours that kids may otherwise spend in front of the television. Give your child a good coloring and drawing book the next time you reach out to switch on the television for him. You may have to cajole him in the beginning, sit with him, and guide him, but you will be amazed to see the amount of interest your kids develops day after day.
- Kids love colors and with such activities, kids explore new shades and colors and it paves the way for the big artistes, painters or better photographers of tomorrow. Do not accord such activities as a wasteful expenditure. Drawing and coloring activities not only helps to engage the kids and hone their skills but also helps in gaining an insight into their thought processes.
- When you initiate your child early on, in such activities at the right time, you are also calling for the neater notebooks and diagrams when the child attends middle school.
- Apart from the usual crayons and books, you can also initiate your child to a good online drawing and coloring medium. Such a medium will do away with the need of buying endless books and colors. Instead, the child will be able to color, erase, and redo a picture any number of times that he or she feels like. Once done, he can take out a printout for keeps. Few such online educational sites are available for the kids at very budget membership fee. One such helpful site is www.w3kids.com
Fill in your preschooler’s world with colors, right away. You will surely be amazed at the ingenious skills your child displays.